Twitter最前线

    follow me on Twitter

    16 June 2008

    Couchsurfing

    I've joined the Couchsurfing network not long ago.

    What's this? Emmmm... "CouchSurfing is a worldwide network for making connections between travelers and the local communities they visit." That's what written on the website.

    In simple terms, it's a network for travelers to look for free place to stay. At the same time, to get themselves closer to the local community.

    In end of May, I had my first CouchSurfing experience. I hosted a hitchhiker from Czech for 2 nights. Of course, I had a guest room for him and not just a couch. His name's Ota, a retired English teacher.

    You know what? He's just 29yo! Oh man! Don't think I will ever retire before the age of 30.

    I picked him up at the coach terminal area at night and brought him to try the nationwide famous Bean Sprout Chicken. He said it's nice. Good stuff! He too told me how he's in love with Iced Milo, Teh Tarik and Kaya Pau! He had good taste!

    The next day, he spent his time walking in the city centre during the day time. I met up with him again for dinner. We ate at Ipoh Garden Gourmet Square. This guy fell in love with Popiah. He ate like 5 rolls. Crazy!

    After spending another night at my place, he left for Teluk Intan. I sent him to Sam Poh Tong area and he hitchhiked to where he wanted to go. Wish him all the best!

    I had a few very good conversations with him. He went to Iran & India before coming to Malaysia. He was telling me how nice was Iran & how not true all the news about this country. Maybe I should consider of visit to Iran in the future. But not so soon lah!

    Last week, I received 2 couch requests from the couchsurfers. 2 girls from USA are coming in August; a Uruguayan guy & a Scottish guy will be visiting to Ipoh in September. I've replied to them and gave them some suggestions on planning their trips.

    Well, I've at least something to look forward to for the next few months. I won't have to day dream and always think of places to go. Now, I need not be a traveler to meet people. By hosting couchsurfers in this way, it too gives me the opportunities to make friends.


    My Schedule:-
    • June - KL & SG Warwick mates are coming to Ipoh for food hunt
    • July - Going to Cambodia with Craziest friend Roy (& maybe Kenny too)
    • August - Hosting 2 American girls
    • September - Hosting a Uruguayan & a Scottish guy

    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...